December 8, 1969 – Charles Manson, Tex Watson, Susan Atkins, Patricia Krenwinkel and Linda Kasabian are indicted for the murders of Sharon Tate and her friends.
A piece of my never-quite-completed-but-will-be-someday book, 922.
The book is fiction, but it happened.
I am too.
It took me 37 years to come to the conclusion that those three words were the answer, the meaning of life, but in 1967 it just means joy.
I’m alive, I exist. Sitting on the floor with my sister and her friends, listening to Sgt. Pepper.
And that’s where it all begins. You wake up a few hundred times, go through days and nights, cry quite a bit, learn some basics and then one day you remember something that doesn’t go away.
It stays, one day I became me. But I didn’t happen to wake up to just any time in history…
I woke up in the sixties.
And that’s why we’re talking I imagine. Do you want to hear the story? It’s a pretty good one but I need to go out on the front steps if I’m going to tell it. It’s just a lot easier to talk out there. Why do I already know the whole story? Well I guess we’ll get to that…
I don’t remember being born, although sometimes I think I do, but I was born on October 14th 1965. It was a Thursday night and I was in a hospital like most babies. I was named after a Beatle and a Quarterback for the New York Jets from what I’m told. In fact, the day I was born happened to be the same day as the very first time the Beatles worked past midnight on a song, they finished Drive My Car right after midnight and The Who recorded My Generation later on the day I was born. I’m not sure if there were any football games that day.
I live in a house in Grand Rapids, Michigan with my Mom and Dad. Mom is 27 and Dad is 42 and Mom is Dad’s second wife. Because of that I also have 2 brothers and a sister that are halfs. They come over on the weekends except Penny who stays here most of the time and is only gone sometimes.
Now, I like my parents and all but you have to understand that my brothers and sister are teenagers and that’s a pretty cool age to be. Teenagers seem to be very important right now.
It seems like it’s important to be a teenager mostly because of Sgt. Pepper, although I checked and I don’t think there is one single teenager on the Sgt. Pepper cover. I like the Beatles, although my favorite is Pet Songs from the Beach Boys.
So all of them are inside listening to Sgt. Pepper again, probably because everyone is listening to Sgt. Pepper all the time now. I like Sgt. Pepper too but between you and me it’s overrated. In time they are going to rate it the best album of all time in Rolling Stone magazine, even though Rolling Stone won’t even start for a couple of months yet. It’s rated just ahead of Pet Songs and Revolver because all of the best albums ever are being done right now.
Why? Well, because it’s the sixties.
You aren’t from around here are you? The sixties are the most important time ever. It’s when everything changed before most everything changed back later. Most colors were invented in the sixties too I think.
Oh yeah, most people around here know all about it. They are turned on they think.
Here, let’s ask this guy.
I can too tell her about it!
Listen, I can hear you muttering dude. Let me guess, “man you’re only two, Paul, you weren’t even there brother!”
Well you know what, you weren’t there either. Zappa was there, no one else was. Its taken over 40 years for someone to say this to you, but no you did not have to be there.
You were here in the sixties yeah, it’s all still the summer of love to you, but we preschoolers watched what happened with you. We were there when the sixties blew up because love actually meant happy-self. We were just getting into school when Manson blew his whistle and ended the party. Manson? You’ll find out. Criminy, you probably think of Woodstock as where Dylan lives.
We were still watching you when the cash register chimed on Dark Side of the Moon and told all of you to finally get off the curb and get regular jobs because your turn was done.
We are the ones who had the perspective that Sgt. Pepper may have been a little better than Frampton or Rumours but there was still a spirit to the music that your generation had lost touch with only because you got old; we had our own mountain to climb to becoming a teenager and Rhiannon told us that on the other side of that mountain were sultry blonde witches rolling around on the ground that we were going to get to enjoy while you sold insurance.
We learned from your generation, we learned what worked and we learned what didn’t. The reason we didn’t sit around the Calder in the eighties debating the Port Huron Statement isn’t because we didn’t care, it was because it got in the way of the party. Reagan dealt with the government and we took the road trip, and that is exactly how it should be. Values and drugs don’t mix. Yeah, Reagan.
So no, you did not have to be there and the reason you think we did has nothing to do with us not understanding your generation and everything to do with you not having any perspective about ours.
But our generation does owe your generation one thing. Thanks for trying.
Don’t pay any attention to him, he doesn’t even know how it all turns out. The silly thing is that they all got what they wanted eventually but they were all too jaded and burned out to care. Don’t tell them though, it would spoil the fun.
What caused the sixties?
I’m not sure, wait a second I’ll go ask.
OK I’m back. Do you want some Kool-Aid? We have green or red.
Apparently it wasn’t Dr. Spock, although that would have been my guess…
What? Yes, I’m two.
My Mom is in Mensa and I get it from her I reckon. I can already read books you know. I hear I may be intelligent.
Anyways, the foundation of what built the sixties started with post-war expansion and the rise of the corporation and military-industrial complex.
Hold on, let me ask. Did I say that right? Are you sure about any of this?
I’m not sure they really know the answer. Most of it hasn’t even happened yet. I’ll give you mine.
After the war, chickens were very important. People wanted to have two cars in their garage and a chicken in the pot. If you had two chickens that was better. Sure, a third chicken would have been fine too. No that’s too many cooks, multiple chickens are OK.
So, Dr. Spock told parents to treat their kids nicely and build their self-esteem. This in turn built effeminate fathers who wouldn’t beat the crap out of their kids. That’s what my Dad told me. No, the crying Indian was in the seventies. There was a lot of garbage then though, he was right to be unhappy.
Anyways, the postwar expansion built an unhealthy attachment to chickens and the rise of the corporation meant that people acquired chickens mainly through allowing for their natural values to be subjugated into the corporate mindset. In other words, fathers did what their bosses told them to do even when they didn’t agree so that they would have more chickens.
When they didn’t, the bosses would send notes home to the wives saying that its really too bad that your husband doesn’t do what he’s told because all of your neighbors have a lot of chickens but you don’t have that many and you would have more chickens if your husband would just do what we tell him and maybe you should talk to him if you would like to have more chickens like your friends.
At the same time, the rise of Communism and the Cold War made speaking out against the government the equivalent of treason because instead of speaking out being part of a Democracy you were now a Communist because they spoke out against Democracy too and because no one could tell the difference between Communists and Non-Communists because they both spoke out it was decided that all people that spoke out must now be Communists because our Country is so great because we saved the world in the forties that only a Communist wouldn’t like it.
Now I’m thirsty. Just a second.
Of course I know all of this, everyone here talks about this stuff. The Port Huron Statement was written in Michigan you know. Al Jardine left the Beach Boys to go to Pharmacy School in Big Rapids. We know things here…No, I would have stayed a Beach Boy.
So the fifties culture was about security and chickens. And right in the middle of the chicken era, the Cult of Chicken, Marlon Brando banged on a jukebox and started Rock and Roll because everyone realized that he looked so incredibly stupid pretending that jazz was hep that something had to be done and then Elvis quit driving his truck so that Marlon Brando had a cool soundtrack to rebel to.
Yes it is what happened! Do you think the juves could rap their hot jive to Mr. Sandman? Jive disappeared way too quickly, especially hot jive which is better and/or warmer than regular jive. People should still be doing hot jive now I think. When the dufi in the Wild One ask for one of those Beer-o’s, that is hot jive. Just put o or e’o after every other word and laugh at people who don’t. Cool isn’t difficult.
So once Rock and Roll started, teenagers had their own space and a defined environment just for them for the first time. There was teen culture and the Cult of Chicken but because fathers were now emasculated due to accepting immoral orders at large companies instead of opening western hardware stores coupled with deferring to the wisdom of Dr. Spock and chickenless wives at home they decided not to beat the crap out of their kids for teen culture because they’d already traded their own values for chicken anyways.
The result of this is that when the teenagers of 1955 went into college in 1960 they decided that the Cult of Chicken sucked and they now stood to lose something because their future would not include rebellion or Rock and Roll or Hot Jive and College curriculum at this point only consisted of how to become a chicken-winner by subjugating their values and this now and only now was suddenly deemed insufficient by about 12 people, it was seen as Holden Caulfield’s cliff.
In other words, adulthood was boring and supposed to be and kids now expected excitement in life as a result of teen culture and self-esteem and weak chicken-needy fathers.
All of this created Bob Dylan.
Because Bob Zimmerman was going to be bored if he pursued the Cult of Chicken as a result of watching Buddy Holly 3 days before he died he instead became Bob Dylan and played to 153 people in a coffeehouse which led to 2,000 people buying his album and like Jesus and the fishes this somehow led to the Port Huron Statement happening simultaneously which was read by another 46 people which then somehow multiplied into alienating the entire eastern portion of Michigan’s youth culture and a few blocks in Grand Rapids which somehow again led to the entire West Coast being disenfranchised within roughly a week which as luck would have it led to millions of youth of all colors becoming disenchanted with racism within this same month and fighting the south mostly without fighting and a lot of people died for not being racists and then Kennedy died the day Beatlemania was shown on CBS and racism became Vietnam and Dylan met the Beatles and someone took LSD and saw God and then the south got really mad at the Beatles because more Beatle records were being bought than Bibles even though the Bible and Beatle records and LSD all say your football team shouldn’t still be all white and then Dylan crashed and the Beatles said sorry and created Sgt. Pepper to enlighten teens from hypocritical parents and football fans with way too much chicken on their hands and this is what built the sixties.
Yeah that’s how it happened. All those things happened on top of each other, no one is quite sure how one thing led to another, but somehow it just all did.
Now everyone is growing their hair long and wearing beads and talking about going to California where it’s all happening.
No I can’t go to California because I can’t leave the block yet, I can go down to Ken-O-Shea park but I need someone with me. Personally I hope no one goes to California from here though, I’d miss the friends even though most of them are a lot older than me. I really like Melody next door, she’s a blonde like Penny and we watch movies on her basement wall a lot and I read her books.
I have a few friends my own age but not all of us were meant to watch Romper Room. Goo Goo and slapping the floor only communicates so much. Where’s the depth, you know?
The redhaired girl up the street though, you can tell she gets it. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, do you know? You do on this block. Can you hear the dog whistle? Redhaired girl does. I don’t know her name. I don’t think she knows it either. It’s 1967, so maybe we’ll just make one up for her.
That’s what my parents did. They don’t call me Paul or William, they call me Paco. They call me Paco of course because it’s Spanish for Frank.
My mom is a genius, but not in Spanish…
That’s the future, this is the past. — Irving Azoff referring to Hotel California,released on December 8th 1976…4 years to the day before John Lennon’s death and 40 years ago today.
That Paul McCartney “died”, and now the reign of Trump begins.
And of course, it’s also the anniversary of the God is Dead obituary.
The Simpson’s reference to Arnold Palmer, airing last night as his death was announced. Also strange is the reference to “was a golfer”, putting him in the past tense…
Fair Use has become a big deal to me as I continue my writing, and without question the copyright holders of Beatle related materials have been very active scrubbing the internet recently. A post made to the Education Forum recently regarding the Beatles made mention of this, I tried to address it over there.
On the JFK page there was recently a thread started about Jim Fetzer asserting that Paul McCartney did in fact die and was replaced in 1966; I don’t share that view but there was a post regarding the overall Paul is Dead phenomenon that I’d like to address in this thread–
It seems that most people these days deny the clues even exist. Nobody has come forward to admit they do. But there were definitely “clues” planted in some of the songs. And I think in some of the photos as well, though those things may just be weird psychedelic Beatles stuff. (A lot of it does seem to single out Paul, which is curious.)
Several years ago I went to YouTube and listened to some recording of Strawberry Fields where somebody says “I buried Paul. The word “I” and the letter “d” in buried aren’t enunciated clearly. So it sounds more like “ah bury paul…” with the “l” sound trailing off at the end.
A couple years later I went back to YouTube to see if there were clues I hadn’t heard before. At one point I wanted to hear the “I buried Paul” thing again. (Just reminiscing.) And the strangest thing happened. First, I noticed that there weren’t near as many clips of this to listen to. It was like most had disappeared. Anyway, I listened to one of the clips that was there. It no longer said “ah bury Paul!” Instead it said “an bury sau.” I thought, what the heck? I’d listened to that thing numerous times over the decades and I’d always heard “ah bury Paul.” Till then.
So I listened to all the clips I could find, and not one of them said what I’d always heard before. Not one! I read the comments, and most people were saying they heard it as “cranberry sauce.” Hmmm….
I was suspicious. I did a Google search of the YouTube website (that is to say, NOT a search from within YouTube) for the phrase “I buried Paul.” This time I got numerous hits, just like before. Back then Google saved a cache of every deleted page. I clicked on the Cache link for several of these, and they all showed a notification that the video had been deleted because of copyright violation!
Do you see what I was discovering? The “I buried Paul” clips had all been removed and replaced with the new and different “cranberry sauce” clips. (Why were these select clips allowed to remain?)
I then listened again very carefully to several of the “cranberry sauce” versions, and I actually found an intermediate version. It was like halfway between “ah bury Paul” and “an bury sau” (or, rather, “an berry sau”) versions. I don’t recall now, but something like “ah bury sau.” Actually, I believe that was it.
So, in summary, what started out as “ah bury Paul” transitioned to “ah bury sau,” and that later transitioned to “an bury sau” (“an berry sau”). Or at least, I believe that was the order of the transition. Because it only makes sense if someone were trying to gradually change “I buried Paul” to “cranberry sauce.”
Some of you are probably saying I’m crazy, but I’m not. This really happened.
Over the decades I have always believed that the Beatles clues were intentionally planted… some are so obvious. Probably as a marketing stunt, though maybe John was just goofing around with the tracks, recording stuff backward for kicks. But I also always believed that the Beatles later wished they hadn’t done it. It was a stain on their reputation.
It is my belief that when they saw what was happening with YouTube, they decided to take action on the most obvious of the clues, the one that doesn’t require being played backward. And that was the “I buried Paul” clue. (Other clues may have been changed on YouTube as well. I wouldn’t be able to tell since I’ve only heard those two or three times each.)
The Beatles have most certainly been exercising their right to remove based on Copyright even though Fair Use is often claimed; the most notable exception is the group Iamaphoney, whose videos have remained largely intact…it is said elsewhere in the thread that no one has really come forward to talk about any of this, and there possibly is also a notable exception to that.
Iamaphoney’s Beatles mystery series as you can see remains untouched, and there is a very interesting story behind this: reportedly, Apple Records head and career-long Beatles insider Neil Aspinall supposedly started a group called Iamaphoney back in the 90’s to set the record straight regarding the many Beatle myths that had developed through the years and set out to collect all of the obscure Beatle related materials he could get his hands on as a way of preserving the record.
Now, the internet is a very interesting place quite obviously; and with the rise of forums and digital media came a renewed interest in the Paul is Dead phenomenon, due to being able to post images, video and audio clips of the original clues, as well as some that were discovered later in the post-Beatles era.
I’ll be the first to say, that some of the posters to the Paul is Dead forums are kind of out there; but there are others that are quite rational and grounded, and some of these people believed more in an overall mystery regarding the Beatles than anything else…Paul is Dead was but one possible answer, the question though by everyone is why the clues?
Well in 2003 a mysterious internet poster appeared on the two most popular Paul is Dead forums who went by the moniker Apollo C Vermouth. Apollo posted infrequently, but attained a reputation as an insider, a veritable deep throat of the Paul is Dead Beatles mysteries; he insisted that there indeed was a mystery to be solved, and that mystery was centered around the Sgt. Pepper album with years of other Beatles clues pointing back toward that album. His position was that the mystery had simply never been solved. (if you search for Apollo C Vermouth on Google, there are collections of his posts)
Apollo posted with less and less frequency from 2003-2007, making one final e-mail message to a number of Nothing is Real members in January of 2008 and then was heard from no more. In April of 2008 a group member known as NIR Committee then made this post. http://invanddis.pro…nir-member-dies
This group alleged, and continues till this day, that Apollo C Vermouth was in fact Neil Aspinall; the head of Apple Records for over 30 years had been posting on Paul is Dead forums for the past 5 years. I should say at this point that I believe them; some of the members with the best reputations on that forum were among those insisting Apollo was in fact Neil.
If so, there is a very prominent exception to no one having had spoken up about the Beatles mysteries. Even more interesting is that late in Apollo’s reign on the internet, an internet poster trying to obtain funding for a series on the Beatles suddenly started making clips on YouTube under the pseudonym Iamaphoney, matching the group Neil Aspinall started in the nineties.
This series started off relatively simple and then suddenly became much more elaborate, with a sudden legion of others commenting on the videos, giving off an impression that “Iamaphoney” had suddenly become much more professional and perhaps much better funded. They also had Beatles related materials that no one had ever seen. They also started doing videos on location from all over the world; this one person now having seemingly unlimited resources.
This is the group whose internet videos have been largely left alone by the Beatles.
The working theory is, and this is in no way proven, that Neil Aspinall’s Iamaphoney group started funding the Iamaphoney group making the Beatle mystery videos on YouTube. When Neil died, the series suddenly became much more bizarre although seemingly just as well funded and the new material largely ceased. The promised revelation from Iamaphoney never was revealed; and the rumored reason why is that MPL, Paul McCartney’s own firm, took over the series upon Neil’s death and wouldn’t allow for there to be an answer.
Most of the people responding to the Jim Fetzer post on the JFK page consider this to be a hoax, as do most people everywhere I’m sure. I have given on pages 6-7 of this thread my answer to this; that I think Paul is Dead is actually God is Dead and this is the mystery alluded to by Apollo, I’ve been working on a book about it for a few years now.
But just as a consideration regarding this all being a hoax, in addition to Apollo and the Iamaphoney group, consider that Heather Mills was seemingly in fear for her life if what she knew about Paul was made public according to her, and went on a number of interview shows saying so, before being gagged by the divorce decree. Russ Gibb, the DJ who was one of the first responsible for breaking Paul is Dead in 1969, said that he had been told something after the furor died down that he has never divulged and was considering giving it as a deathbed revelation. Julian Lennon, after being snubbed for a number of events by Paul, said on Facebook “what have I done to be treated in such a way. Gimme some truth, maybe now its time to tell the truth” before deleting the post.
It may still be up for debate just what the mystery is about, but there is something more than meets the eye with these clues.
– Lincoln’s name has 7 letters
– Kennedy’s name has 7 letters
– In Lincoln’s & Kennedy’s names the vowels & consonants fall in exactly the same place; in the order c, v, c, c, v, c, c
– Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846
– Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946
– Lincoln was elected president in 1860
– Kennedy was elected president in 1960
– Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln
– War was thrust upon Lincoln almost immediately after inauguration
– War was thrust upon Kennedy almost immediately after inauguration
– Lincoln ordered the Treasury to print its own money
– Kennedy ordered the Treasury to print its own money
– International bankers may have arranged the assassinations of both Lincoln and Kennedy
– Lincoln gave black Americans freedom and legalized equality
– Kennedy enforced equality for black Americans
– Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address on November 19, 1863
– Kennedy was assassinated on November 22, 1963
– Lincoln was loved by the common people and hated by the establishment
– Kennedy was loved by the common people and hated by the establishment
– Lincoln was succeeded, after assassination, by vice-president Johnson
– Kennedy was succeeded, after assassination, by vice-president Johnson
– Andrew Johnson was born in 1808
– Lyndon Johnson was born in 1908
– Andrew Johnson’s name has 13 letters
– Lyndon Johnson’s name has 13 letters
– Andrew Johnson had a pug nose and slicked-back hair
– Lyndon Johnson had a pug nose and slicked-back hair
– Lincoln was sitting beside his wife when he was shot
– Kennedy was sitting beside his wife when he was shot
– Rathbone, who was with Lincoln when he was shot, was injured (by being stabbed)
– Connally, who was with Kennedy when he was shot, was injured (by being shot)
– Rathbone’s name has 8 letters
– Connally’s name has 8 letters
– Lincoln’s wife held his head in her lap after he was shot
– Kennedy’s wife held his head in her lap after he was shot
– Lincoln was shot on a Friday
– Kennedy was shot on a Friday
– Lincoln was shot in a theater named Ford
– Kennedy was shot in a car named Ford
– Kennedy was shot in a car also named Lincoln
– Lincoln’s bodyguard was away from his post at the door of the President’s box at the theater
– Kennedy’s bodyguards were away from their posts on the running-boards of the President’s car
– Lincoln was shot in a theater and his assassin ran to a warehouse
– JFK was shot from a warehouse and his assassin ran to a theater
– Lincoln’s assassin had a three-word name, John Wilkes Booth
– Kennedy’s assassin had a three-word name, Lee Harvey Oswald
– John Wilkes Booth has 15 letters
– Lee Harvey Oswald has 15 letters
– John Wilkes Boothe was born in 1839 (s/b 1838)
– Lee Harvey Oswald was born in 1939
– Lincoln didn’t die immediately after being shot
– Kennedy didn’t die immediately after being shot
– Lincoln and Kennedy died in places beginning with the initials P and H
– Lincoln died in Petersen’s house
– Kennedy died in Parkland Hospital
– Booth was shot and killed in police custody before going to trial
– Oswald was shot and killed in police custody before going to trial
– Kennedy’s funeral was modeled on Lincoln’s funeral
– Andrew Johnson was a heavy drinker with crude behavior
– Lyndon Johnson was a heavy drinker with crude behavior
– There were conspiracy theories that Johnson was knowledgeable about Lincoln’s assassination
– There were conspiracy theories that Johnson was knowledgeable about Kennedy’s assassination
– Days before it happened Lincoln told his wife and friends about a dream he’d had of being shot by an assassin
– Hours before it happened Kennedy told his wife and friends it would be easy for an assassin to shoot him from a crowd
– Shortly after Lincoln was shot the telegraph system went down
– Shortly after Kennedy was shot the telephone system went down
– Kennedy’s father had been the Ambassador to England at the Court of St James
– Lincoln’s son became the Ambassador to England at the Court of St James
– Lincoln and Kennedy were 2 of the greatest presidents of the nation
– Lincoln’s wife tastefully and expensively re-decorated the White House
– Kennedy’s wife tastefully and expensively re-decorated the White House
– Lincoln loved great literature and could recite poetry by heart
– Kennedy loved great literature and could recite poetry by heart
– Lincoln had young children while living at the White House
– Kennedy had young children while living at the White House
– Lincoln’s sons had ponies they rode on the White House grounds
– Kennedy’s daughter had a pony she rode on the White House grounds
– Lincoln lost a child (12 year old son) to death while President
– Kennedy lost a child (newly born son) to death while President
– Lincoln had 2 sons named Robert and Edward. Edward died young and Robert lived on.
– Kennedy had 2 brothers named Robert and Edward. Robert died young and Edward lived on
– Lincoln let his children run and play in his office
– Kennedy let his children run and play in his office
– After Lincoln’s assassination the nation experienced an emotional convulsion
– After Kennedy’s assassination the nation experienced an emotional convulsion
– Lincoln’s funeral train traveled from Washington DC to New York
– Kennedy’s brother’s funeral train traveled from New York to Washington DC
– Lincoln Assassination conspiracy theories are believed all these years later
– Kennedy Assassination conspiracy theories are believed all these years later
– Abraham was the first name of the man who filmed Kennedy’s murder in the Lincoln
– The man running alongside Kennedy’s car snapping pictures with his 35mm camera was a salesman of Lincoln cars
– Jefferson Davis was the name of the President of the Confederate States while Lincoln was president of the United States
– Jefferson Davis Tippit was the name of the police officer killed by Kennedy’s assassin
– Lincoln was famous for his wit and for telling hilarious stories and anecdotes
– Kennedy was famous for his wit and for telling hilarious stories and anecdotes
– Lincoln was sitting in a rocking chair at Ford’s Theater when he was shot
– Kennedy had a special rocking chair he sat in at the White House
– Henry Ford bought the rocking chair Lincoln died in and put it in his museum in Dearborn
– Kennedy’s seat in the Lincoln he was sitting in when he was shot is in Ford’s museum
– Lincoln’s seat in the Ford he was sitting in when he was shot is in Ford’s museum
– John Kennedy is the name of a character in a 1951 movie about a detective traveling by train to thwart the assassination of President Lincoln
– John Kennedy is the name of the real-life detective who traveled in the train with President Lincoln in 1860 to thwart his assassination
– In 1863, the Tsar sent the war fleet of the Russian empire to assist President Lincoln during the American civil war
– In 1962, during the Kennedy presidency, a fleet of Russian ships transporting instruments of war were steaming towards America with less benign intent
And then there’s the final joke. This item was not included in the above list:
-A week before Lincoln was shot, he was in Monroe, Maryland.
-A week before Kennedy was shot, he was with Marilyn Monroe.